The Ketogenic Diet is really trending right now. You may be wondering what this diet is all about and what specifically you can eat while on it. For instance, can I have sour cream?
Let’s take a look at what the Ketogenic (Keto) Diet is, how it works, and where sour cream fits into the meal plan. I think many of us really enjoy a bit of sour cream to add tangy flavor and creamy texture to some favorite dishes.
What Is The Keto Diet?
Basically, the premise of the keto diet is to bring your body into a state of ketosis. Our livers produce chemicals called ketones when carbohydrate intake is restricted. Ketones can be used for energy when there aren’t adequate amounts of glucose that you would normally burn as fuel.
Carbohydrates provide us with glucose or sugar that we break down and metabolize to have enough energy to get through the day. When glucose is not available, the body is able to convert fat stores into ketones that can be used as a primary fuel source. This ability to burn fat for energy is called ketosis.
The upside to burning stored fat is that you will likely shed some pounds and perhaps build lean muscle mass. Of course, it makes sense that you also exercise while on a Keto Diet.
New to Keto? Learn everything you need in the bestseller, 'Simply Keto'.
How to Eat on the Keto Diet
The ketogenic diet consists of eating a scientifically researched and prescribed ratio of fat to protein to carbohydrate macronutrients. Each plate of food should be comprised of approximately 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% specific carbohydrates. As you can see, your primary source of calories is in the form of fat.
You might be scratching your head. How will all that fat help me to lose weight? Simply put, eating more fat and less carbohydrates will force your body to burn that fat.
Foods to Include
Now that you know the ratios of fat to protein to carbs, let’s take a look at what you can eat on the diet. It should be noted that the architects of the Keto Diet recommend that the foods you consume be of high quality, such as organic, pasture raised, wild caught, and non-GMO. If that is out of your budget or not easily sourced, just go for the freshest and least processed foods you can find locally.
Allowed Foods (Low Carb)
Foods to Avoid On This Diet
You are probably wondering if you will ever be able to have a sandwich or a bowl of spaghetti again. The answer is yes. However, you will need to be a little creative.
It is possible to substitute zucchini noodles and spaghetti squash for pasta. Breads made from nut meals or coconut flour can be eaten in moderation.
What is Sour Cream
Now that you have an overview of the Keto Diet, let’s get back to how sour cream fits in. Sour cream is a lactic-acid fermented cream that is thick, creamy, and acidic. It is a delicious addition to sauces, soups, stews, dressings, and dips.
Sour cream has less lactose (milk sugar) than heavy cream and milk due to the way it is fermented with bacteria that feeds on the lactose. This makes it easier to digest, especially for those who are lactose intolerant.
Find the top Sour Creams (with reviews!) on Amazon
- Lipton recipe secrets recipe soup & dip mix onion is a tasty onion broth flavor
- Great for a creating our classic onion dip that can be used as a french onion soup or in many family favorite recipes
- Lipton recipe secrets mix makes 3-1/2 cups of soup
- Contains two envelopes of soup mix
- A great onion soup mix to add to beef stock for a flavorful base
- 🥨HOMESTYLE – Dot’s Pretzels came from humble beginnings in a North Dakota farm town. Made is small batches with the same process that Dot started nearly a decade ago in her home kitchen, every bag is packed with love.🥨
- 🥨GOURMET SNACK – Dot’s Pretzel twists are dusted with our top-secret seasoning blend, giving our snacks a unique, unforgettable flavor. Every bite envelops your taste buds in a delightful swirl of buttery, sweet, and spicy tang. They’re the snack you never knew you needed!🥨
- 🥨A FAMILY FAVORITE - The snack that everyone can agree on. Whether in a school lunch, a snack bowl at home, or in one of Dot’s famous recipes, the whole family will be begging for more of this deliciously addicting snack.🥨
- 🥨THE PERFECT ALL-OCCASION SNACK - Serve our unique pretzel twists at parties and events, while watching movies or sports, tailgating and picnics, or as an addition to your lunch! Dot’s is the perfect snack for any occasion. Dot’s Homestyle Pretzels come in 1.5oz, 5oz, 16oz, and 32oz bags, all sold on Amazon.🥨
- 🥨DOTS FOR DINNER – Grab a bag of Dot’s Seasoning Rub and coat your meats, fish, chicken or pork with the flavor of Dot’s Pretzels. Add our pretzel crumbs to soup, pasta, salad, pie crust and pizza for an interesting twist on dinner tonight (Sold Separately).🥨
- OTHER USES: Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, Dishwashing Liquid, Dog Shampoo, Acrylic Paint, Epoxy part A and part B, Glue Bottle, Arts and Crafts, Massage Oil, Lotion, Nail Polish Remover
- CONDIMENTS THAT WORK GREAT: Mayonnaise, Mustard, Ketchup, Honey, Nutella Chocolate, Sour Cream, BBQ sauce, Dressings with particles, Ranch, Thousand Island, Syrup, Cooking Oil, Icing, Pancake Batter, Salsa
- REMOVABLE and INTERCHANGEABLE VALVE: Means that they are easy to clean and you can have multiple valves for different types of liquids. Blue/Thick, Yellow/Standard, Green/Thin
- DIMENSIONS: Diameter 2 7/16 inches; Height 8 5/8 inches
- NSF APPROVED AND BPA FREE: More in the description
Nutrition of Sour Cream
There is a lot to like about sour cream. It is fatty and nutritionally dense, making it a powerful Keto friendly food. Here is the nutritional makeup of 1 cup of sour cream.
- Calories: 198
- Saturated fat: 10.1 grams
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6 grams
- Polyunsaturated fat: .8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 4.5 grams
- Protein: 2.44 grams
- Vitamin A: 14% DV
- Riboflavin (B-2): 13% DV
- Pantothenic acid (B-5): 9% DV
- Vitamin B12: 9% DV
- Choline: 3% DV
- Vitamin E: 3% DV
- Vitamin B6: 2% DV
- Folate: 2% DV
- Thiamine (B1): 2% DV
- Calcium: 8% DV
- Selenium: 7% DV
- Phosphorus: 6% DV
- Potassium: 3% DV
- Zinc: 3% DV
- Magnesium: 2% DV
- Copper: 2% DV
Sour Cream in the Keto Diet
As you can see, sour cream is high in fat and lower in carbohydrates. There are considerable amounts of unsaturated fats in this food. This allows sour cream to fit nicely into the Keto Diet.
The key to incorporating sour cream into your Keto Diet is to use some restraint. This creamy treat can pack a punch in terms of calories. It is probably best to limit your intake of this fatty food to a tablespoon or so per meal.
It can be stirred into meat stews for a creamy and tangy sauce. Make salad dressing that has some sour cream added for that ranch or green goddess flavor and consistency. Sour cream is also terrific added to vegetable casseroles.
Our Top Keto Friendly Sour Cream Pick on Amazon
- Pure & Natural
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- No rBST* - No significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rBST-treated cows and non-rBST-treated cows
- Grade A
The Ketogenic Diet is a great plan to help you lose some excess body fat, increase lean muscle mass, and perhaps reduce inflammation. The great thing about this diet is that it has some really flavorful foods on it. One of those being sour cream.
Sour cream is high in fat and low in sugar. There is no need to deprive yourself of this tasty dairy condiment when dieting if you are trying to create a state of ketosis. Just be mindful of total caloric intake and be sure to include an exercise routine when using this plan for weight loss and improved health.
Last update on 2020-08-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API